Sunday, February 27, 2011

Las Cruces

On the south side of Las Cruces lies Old Mesilla, which used to be part of Mexico until 1848. During the civil war it was the capital of New Mexico and Arizona territory. This is where Billy the kid met his demise, shot by Sheriff Pat Garret after he escaped from jail awaiting trial after shooting Sheriff Brady at the ripe age of 21. The Mesilla Plaza is anchored on one end by St Albino church, the adobe buildings surrounding the plaza are quaint little shops and restaurants. Mesilla refused to let the RR come through so from then on, Las Cruces , the other side of the Rio Grande River grew and while Mesilla remained a village.

We ate twice at Los Mariachis as it was recommended by several. By accident we went to Thai restaurant and that too was excellent. I think we should always eat with chop sticks to slow us down.

On Saturday we hit the farmers market. Pecan orchards run for miles toward El Paso but the cheapest we could find shelled pecans was $8/#, which is not much less than organic pecans at the Farm to Table Store. I did go to the chili factory and got some spices and chili Rostras. He had me taste the green chili powder and I was coughing for the next 20 minutes. They suggest soaking the chilies in a gallon of water 2 hours, blending and straining for enchiladas. For the chili powders - either put in shakers or reconstitute one pound in a gallon of water and feather in flour like making a gravy. Got some for Driller Bob and Steve.

I feel so out of touch with the outside world as TV isn't working in the coach, and Mike loves his CDs. The internet is my link to news and tonight I'm in the exercise room cuz it has the Oscars -- exercise is an option.

I did talk Mike in letting me haul home a Chiminea for future cool nights on the deck or lake. It's my momento of this year's trip. Last year was the painted canisters from Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment