Friday, February 13, 2015

Florida Oranges

While at the grocery store I wanted to get some Florida oranges.  I notices they were all from California.  I finally asked a grocer who steered me to the end of an aisle that had oranges in bags.  It was a 10# bag so I decided against it.

Later when Mike and I found a "farmers" market promoting local pecans and oranges, we stopped in. They had samples to taste and finally tried the boiled peanuts so common at roadside stands. They are in a crockpot - plain boiled and Cajun.  I had plain.   They taste like re-fried beans.

Of the four different oranges to taste, I liked the sweetness of HoneyBelles.  We bought a bag in the red netting (10#), plus pecans and paper pecans that she could crack with two pecans and they came out in perfect halves.  We told her the story of picking pecans from McKinney, TX school and trying to make pecan pie for Thanksgiving at my brother's.  We had to run over them with the car to get them to crack.    It was the best pecan pie cuz of all the effort involved.


Back to oranges,  Florida oranges are ugly on the outside and quite seedy inside, at least these Honey Belles were.  We went on a mission to find an orange juicer even though we have them at home,even an electric one from my mother-in-law, but none in the coach.

Found one at Winn Dixie and whaa -la,
3 oranges later, I'm drinking fabulous juice,
So when you see a Florida oranges ad,  they are always serving it as orange juice.  Rightly so.  It's delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment